Huntsman Tioxide, Grimsby
The plant originally built in 1945 was expanded over time to produce at its peak over 100,000t of product each year. It eventually closed in 2009 after more than four-million tonnes of titanium dioxide, used in the manufacture of paint, paper, plastics and several other raw materials, was produced at the site during its 60-year history.
Significant contamination abatement was required in the early stages of the works, in regard to removal and disposal of asbestos contaminated materials and treatment of radiation contaminated ground.
Various methods of demolition were employed including high reach mechanical fragmentation and shearing, asbestos cement ‘wet and drop’ and explosives blasting to various structures.
Ferrous and non-ferrous metal recovery was the commercial vehicle upon which the works were negotiated and secured, with eventual tonnages in the tens of thousands.
Working in the shadow of the 350ft chimney, a range of demolition rigs and equipment was utilised including Volvo EC235’s, EC380’s and High Reach EC700’s all with associated pulverisers, shears and grabs, together with an XR400 crusher, mini diggers and telehandlers.
Even the largest equipment available in the demolition arena was dwarfed by the sheer size of some of the buildings.
Numerous stakeholders were party to the project including English Nature, RPM Industrial and North East Lincolnshire Council.
Works remained on budget, on programme and were carried out to highest standards of health and safety.